Curtains will soon be drawn on the world cup, where everyone expected it to be a 'grand finale', there are more than enough pointers to indicate that this would be yet another 'we came-we saw- we won' world cup for the australians. you ask me what pointers?? here goes:
1. The ardent and irrepressible Cricket fans have gone silent, SetMax has been all but tuned out. My roomies prefer watching Mallu serials and Discovery channel to sitting and watching (yet another) annihilation by the aussies or for that matter seeing 'India glorious' on ESPN. (tired of seeing the same matches over and over again! did India win only these many matches??)
2. The sports page in Papers is filled with some golfing exploits of an ethnic african whose great grand father was an Indian ( we indians have a tendency to tag anyone worthwhile as Indian, if we can ie)
3. The ads in between overs (yeah we do watch the matches sometimes) are pathetic. Seen the BINGO ads anyone ?? (vaaango -poooongo-bingo!) *aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh*
4. My roomie discussses 'globalization' and 'quota issues' over dinner (yeah I know its not relevant .. but couldnt help it) *grin*
5. There is a sense of respect for the Bangladesh team all of a sudden. they are Minnows no more .. wait maybe we could reclassify Indians in that case .. how about 'whipping boys' of world cricket?
Wait, I sound like some delusioned fan who is venting his anger just because of the one-off defeat at the hands of Bangladesh. hmm . maybe I am .. and yes it hurts ..it hurts to see an 'island' thats maybe 1/50 the size of India and is also split in half by the LTTE producing such sublime cricketers and entering the world cup final, whereas the BCCI convenes a 'meeting' and decides to sack the coach (wat can he do ? teach those superstars how to hold a bat?) and 'rest' the senior players and prepare for the enormous 'battle' against Bangladesh. Sad .. real sad.
All things said and done, have to admit there would be more viewership to the India-Bangladesh match (if its shown on DD) than for the world cup final ! Thats Indian fans my friends .. yeah thats US (yup I am one of 'em allrite)
Afterthought: all the best to South Africa and if that doesnt work - to Sri lanka ..cmon make a fist of it .. make me eat 'humble pie' .. well everyone cheers for the Underdogs, dont we!